Guardians for Minor Children

Legal Guardianship Attorney Serving Sherman Oaks & Glendale, CA

How Do I Select A Guardian For Minor Children?

Parents worry about everything when it comes to their children. Feeding them the best foods, keeping them safe and healthy, providing them with tools to help them learn and develop. BUT, what most parents forget is making sure to name a guardian for minor children. Our attorney for legal guardianship will help you choose the best person for you child.

As a parent, the most important thing you can do today for your child is make sure that you have selected the right person to care for him or her if you are incapacitated or no longer living. If you do not select a guardian, the courts will decide for you. A random judge who has never met you or the guardian will decide what is best for your child. This process can be expensive and time-consuming.

Naming a guardian for minor children appears scary and stressful, especially for new parents, but, it is not.

Having a guardianship in place for your minor child is relatively a simple process. Often times people think that because they have a small estate or no estate, they do not need an estate plan. However, if you have minor children, regardless of the size of your estate, you need a good estate plan in place that provides guardians for minor children.

The guardian you choose will take care of your child and make decisions regarding his or her education, so select wisely. Here are a few things to think about when selecting a guardian:

Guardian For Minor Children

  1. Choose a guardian that can take care of your children for the next 5 years. Parents have a difficult time choosing a guardian because they think it is permanent. Just remember, pick someone today and just reevaluate in 5 years.
  2. Always name alternate guardians in case the one you name is unable to do the job.
  3. You and your spouse/partner should try to name the same guardians for all of your children.
  4. Most importantly, your attorney should coordinate your child’s guardianship with the child’s financial care. (Oftentimes, the person that cares for your children may not be the same person you want to name as the person that controls your child’s money).

The Hard Question is who to name as guardian for minor children. Our legal guardianship lawyer near you will help you make a decision and take care of the rest. For more information on naming a guardian for minor children or to obtain more information that is specific to your family’s needs.

Our legal guardianship lawyer serves in Glendale, Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, Pasadena and nearby areas. Contact us at 818-649-9110 or email us at for a free consultation.

Call Now Schedule Now